_ Home your visit our history museum collection restoration hangar educational activities museum news donations join us contacts & links

OUR HISTORY
_
Globemaster tails
 
 
No. 86 Wing (ALG) / No. 36TH SQUADRON 
RAAF Base Amberley, Ipswich, Queensland  Australia
ROYAL Australian AIR FORCE
 
 
 
 
Photo By: Gina Vanatter                                                         Boeing
The 36th Squadrons Stallion insignia can be seen high on the tails units C-17. 
 
 
RAAF Photo                                                Commonwealth Copyright Administration

The RAAF's 36 Squadron flew the C-130 before converting into the C-17. During the 70's and 80's the Australian 36 Sqdn had a sister squadron relationship with McChord's C-130E squadron, the 36th Tactical Airlift Squadron. 

 
 
RAAF Photo                                                Commonwealth Copyright Administration
RAAF markings can be seen on the first C-17A A41-206 .
 
Photo By: Gina Vanatter                                                                                    Boeing
Markings are similar on both sides of RAAF C-17.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
RAAF Photo                                                Commonwealth Copyright Administration
 

           

 No. 36 Squadron 
 

Formed at Laverton, Victoria in March 1942, No 36 Squadron was equipped with an assortment of aircraft including six DC 2s, two De Havilland DH 86s, a Ford Tri Motor and various other types.

After moving to Townsville in December 1942, the Squadron's aircraft were gradually replaced with the ubiquitous DC 3. Freight was continually flown to New Guinea and the first of several aircraft detachments to that combat zone commenced in 1943. These aircraft conveyed troops and freight to the forward bases, flying supply drops over difficult terrain in treacherous weather conditions.  

After the Japanese surrender a No 36 Squadron detachment based at Morotai began courier runs to Japan in support of the Australian component of the British Commonwealth Occupation Force. Two years later, half of the Squadron's aircrew were sent to Europe to participate in the Berlin Airlift - flying supplies to the beleaguered city.  

In March 1953, No 36 Squadron was based in Japan, carrying freight to and from Korea, evacuating casualties and providing a VIP transport capability for the United Nations Command. After the armistice in July, No 36 Squadron remained in Japan supporting a continued United Nations presence in the Korean peninsula.  

After returning to Australia No 36 Squadron soon took delivery of its first C-130A Hercules - becoming the first Air Force outside the United States to operate the type. One of its first missions with the new aircraft was the deployment of No 79 Squadron to Ubon, Thailand. In addition to its role as a strategic airlifter, the Hercules also proved highly suited to civil aid tasks such as fodder drops during floods, air sea rescue work and medical evacuations. With the escalating commitment of Australian forces in Vietnam during the mid 1960s, No 36 Squadron found itself operating a regular courier service to and from that country, carrying troops and equipment, and evacuating wounded soldiers back to Australia.

In 1978, after 20 years of sterling service the Squadron's 'A' model Hercules were replaced with C-130H models. Herculesí of the 36th continued to play a vital role in both the defense of Australia and its interests abroad. Recent operations in the C-130 including Operation Bastille, Falconer and Catalyst in Iraq from February 2003, Operation Anode in the Solomon Islands, and assisting the civil community after the Bali bombings and the tsunami in Sumatra.  

The 36th Squadron will continue to play a important role in the future after the units conversion from the C-130H to the C-17 Globemaster in 2006.

 
Website provided and maintained by:
 
The McChord Air Museum Foundation
P.O. Box 4205
McChord AFB, WA. 98438-0205
253-982-2485
e-mail - mamfound@mcchordairmuseum.org